Thursday, 24 April 2014

Leaping into the abyss

Life here has become suddenly very precarious over the last 24 hours. 

Luke and I have battled and battled to be able to stay together. I don't need to tell you how perfect our life here is, we never argue - never - we have created the perfect home that is filled by us and the animals and by our love for one another. We do everything together.

Yesterday I was informed by my work that although they are applying for a labour market opinion so I can get a work visa it will be a longer process than we thought and I won't be able to work until it comes in - if it comes in - and in the meantime I will lose my status here.

Last night, Luke and I sat down and hashed it all out. One option is if I return home for a year then we can both work and save and when I return with a permanent residency visa we should have saved enough money for a house.

We talked and talked and the more we talked, the more we realised that this really isn't an option. When I came here in January 2013, it was so that we could be together forever, not just for a year and a half. Regardless of whether this puts our plans back for three years, we can't abandon that plan. I can't be without him for another year.

Instead, we are focusing energies on securing a visitor visa for me. Honestly, this will still be difficult to do. Firstly, we need to have a financial sum in the bank to support me, but I am unsure what the expectation of that sum might be. It could be $5000 it could be less. Secondly, we are running out of time. I don't know whether we have the time now to get one.

So that is where we are at today. My permanent residency visa application is still AWOL, but even were it not, having handed in the permanent residency visa application is not my ticket to stay. I thought I had to stay while they process it, but it is the work permit that would have allowed me to stay in the interim.

Who knows where life is taking us, I am trying to trust that it is guiding us in the right direction but we are on the cusp of leaping into the abyss once more without the foggiest about what might happen next

18 comments:

  1. Oh this must be so stressful. It must feel hopeless at times, but I think you're right not to return to the UK. Fight for it!!


    My English friend in Haliburton has just applied for and got a visitor's visa. If you want I could ask what advice she has?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how stressed you must feel. I really hope it all works out for you both in the most positive way - good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the visitor visa trick at one point, the first year I was in Canada (before starting the PR process). I came as a visitor, was given 6 months, and I applied for an extension. I got it. I was so happy... even though it sucked because I wasn't allowed to work, it gave us a few more months together.


    Anyway, I know how stressful it is. Looking back in a few years, you will laugh it off. Meanwhile, sending more good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just begun reading your blog and wanted to wish you the best with your PR application (hopefully it's found, I'm sure the offices must know who to forward it to).

    I just got my PR granted (I'm in BC btw) after a nice 8 month long process through the Canadian Experience Class and it's a relief that after 4 years of temporary work permits that I'm finally a PR, I hope you get that relief too soon. For what it's worth I think, for as long as you guys can make it work, that it's best to stay in the same country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that you and Luke are having to go through this. But it's lovely that you have such a wonderful relationship to hang in there for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all this stress. Sending you a big hug and thinking of you, there must be somebody who can advise and help you. You seem to have done everything you could xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry i was AWOL. I am so sorry to hear all this trouble ! I know how you feel because i went through the same thing (not exact same) with my husband before coming here and it sucked ! I can't believe they don't know where you application is ! I am sorry to be a pest and ask : Did you have a tracking # on your envelope? My opinion is you can get a visitor visa (based on CIC website, it says it takes 11 days to process) . As for the financial requirement, i am not sure. I wish i knew. I hope the labor market opinion report come back fast.


    P.S.: another tip: when i was in the U.S., there was free immigration law clinics that could advise you if you had a few questions. I used one once when i was thinking what to do when my husband was coming back to Canada. I am not sure if there is any in your town.


    Stay strong, girl ! Hoping for the best !

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be lovely, thank you! Yeah, we have decided to fight for it - great words by the way - I feel like it could well take a fight at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Jane! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you remember how much money you needed to have in the bank for your visitor visa?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for that Matt, we have reached the same conclusion as you at this point. It would be, in many ways, counter productive for me to go back to England at this point. Congratulations on getting your permanent residency!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Rosi, it is really just a waiting game now, to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We were super broke so... not so much! I honestly can't remember the amount but it must have been at most $1,000. I think I argued that I was living with a "friend" (Feng, obviously) and that I didn't have to pay rent, just personal expenses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did have a tracking num on the envelope, however no one onows where it went once it had been delivered! They presume it will have been sent to Mississauga however. This weekend we are worki through the visitor visa application, after that, who knows! There is a free immigration law clinic in Hamilton I think, I will definitely look into that too, thank you! Did you think it was worthwhile when you went?

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhhh i see now ! We went through Mississauga and they only contacted us when my husband was approved for sponsorship. We had no idea when it got delivered there. I am thinking that Vegreville took their sweet time forwarding your application to Mississauga and now Mississauga is taking their time reviewing the first part of your application. It is my opinion but i may be mistaken. CIC sucks on giving proper feedback! Out of curiosity, did you make copies of your entire application just in case?


    I am praying for you that the visitor visa application goes well.


    Oh great ! Yes it was definitely worthwhile because they gave me the initial insights i needed before i moved on to actually paying for a lawyer because my case was a bit complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't have a copy of the application = another oversight! I am in the process of redoing it, I am almost there now. My MP said it would be treated as inland. They were worse than rubbish though, to be honest. I am going to try to contact them and the CIC again. Now I am having trouble uploading my information for the visitor visa on the CIC website. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is what we are doing too. Hopefully they will let it go through! I will probs only have about $1000 too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. tayanna01 .6 May 2014 17:27

    Sorry i was awol again !


    Were you able to get more info from CIC? Were you able to see yr visitor visa info on the website?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting :) it makes me happy!